Sunday, June 6, 2010

Water-Wise Landscape Tour



June 5

Jennifer and I toured three yards, Water-Wise Landscape Tour showcases beautiful yards that use little water. After viewing the beautiful landscapes we went to a nursery.

“Under the Sun” nursery on Campbell just east of Coit. We went (or should I say I went) a little crazy.

Jennifer bought some asparagus fern and a purple shamrock (Oxalis Triangularis) for a hanging basket. What a lovely combination. Of course the need of the basket, sheppard’s crook and potting soil prompted a trip to Home Depot and then Walmart. Jen decided she needed a begonia for a small square planter that was a housewarming gift. So now she has some variety in her front yard and we are full of ideas.


Now for the craziness. I was going to just buy some light green sweet potato vines for contrast … but 25% off perennials and I went just a little nuts. I did not blow the budget. Now my two flower beds have a lot of variety and texture. Very few annuals (potato vines are an annual -- I substituted the contrast in color that I was looking for with a perennials.)

Planted in the east bed.

Artemisia in the dark corner for contrast.

A white flowering hibiscus in the center bordered with celosia and the rusty red sweet potato vine.

Just for fun lamb’s ear planted behind the marigolds.

Planted in the west bed

A conversation piece for sure, an agave. Don't hold your breath, I won't be harvesting the juice for tequila, not in my life time.

Also planted some purple heart (wandering jew) for contrast and because Jennifer liked it some blue fescue ornamental grass.



So far the plants have survived, 95% success rate.

The marigolds are not doing well in the south side of the island bed. They may be getting too much shade or not enough water. Probably not enough water at the tail end of the drip system. Marigolds are not as drought tolerant as I thought, they are rated by the aggies as a 5 on scale of 1 to 10. Most of my plant selections are in the 8 or 9 (very drought tolerant) range.

The acapulco agastache didn’t make it over the long week. I cut it back and mulched it, so shall wait and see if it will survive and come back.


This past week was a good test of the hardiness of the plants. I watered last Sunday and did not return until 6 days later on Saturday. The week brought us our first triple digit temps and not a drop of rain, so I call it a success to have plants that survived the week. The few zinnias that did pop up from seeds are lovely.





The melon patch is thriving, blooms on the pumpkins and cantaloupe. The few vegetables are holding their own against the bugs, the rabbits, the heat and no rain.



After much time, work, effort, thought and not as much upfront planning, I worry about the clay in the east and west flower beds. I will give it a few years and see if the plants do survive. Although I have a feeling that you’ll hear me moaning and groaning in a few years when I decide that it is time to dig out the clay, add compost and garden soil and till it all up. We did till the areas before the brick edging (and now sidewalk) was laid but it is still pretty clayey. The island bed has much better soil. It is surprising, some of it natural and some of it due to the construction the variance in the soil types across the yard. We have a heavy red clay, an even heavier whitish clay (but it is very rare) and lots of sand. The house foundation was 6 feet of sand capped with 6 inches of red clay. The whitish clay was moved and graded in from the pile of dirt from the septic tank hole. After all the clearing and grading across the yard, we were left with very little organic material or topsoil. We are working on it.

Ever a work in progress is the garden and the yard.



No comments:

Post a Comment